I have never placed any of my children on their bellies to sleep. “Back is Best.” However this morning Ella would not settle down. I knew what she wanted but I did not want to do it. Unfortunately, she is just to cute! She WON. I placed her on her belly and in less then a minute she was sleeping peacefully. Now what do I do? Do I continue to put her on her belly?
I also think I will change her bumper to a breathable kind. I read this morning that it’s better to have air circulating around the baby. With each new baby there is some thing new to learn and buy.
5 comments:
Lots of posts! If you look at all the risk factors for SIDS (smoking, boy, etc) she has a really low chance. Plus you said she likes her paci which keeps her head churned. Do whatever you feel comfortable with! I always waited until 6+ weeks before switching. They seemed to have enough head control then. Then we started with just naps.
Oh, and I picked up our breathable bumper at Burlington Coat Factory - Baby Depot in Boise.
I say .. do what works. the opinion on back sleeping and EVERTHING else it seems swings on a very wide pendulum. I have 6 kids ranging from 29 - 8. (yes .., you ready that correctly) i have been told .. NO back sleeping. NO side sleeping, and with the last two NO stomach sleeping. I trust my kids tof God. I pray over them and dont worry. If it makes baby happy pn his/her tummy .. then thats what I did! I prefer happy babies!
Good luck ... trust your mommy instinct. You know best.
I put both kids on their bellies from day 1. I read up on it and I didn't find that SIDS was caused by the belly sleeping. The kids always slept well this way. I figured too that all of our moms put us on our bellies back in the day! Hmmm... Don't know if that helps just didn't want you to think that you were a bad mom or the only one who went against the "back is best." Trust those mommy instincts, I agree.
Thanks ladies! That makes me feel much better. I was feeling a little scared. Ella has had two good naps today (yeah!).
all 4 of my girlies were belly babies, and like lori said, i was told something different with the first three (both mckenna and sk were the 'back to sleep babies'). they all seemed to sleep better and startle less that way. i really tried with sk, swaddling, buying, the little pad things that supposedly made them feel secure, etc, but it just didn't work. sk and annab were such spitters that i was very nervous about putting them on their backs or even their sides anyway, so i actually felt better that they were on their tummies. wallering their faces/heads in some spit up is way better than choking on it! so, if miss ella seems to prefer her belly i say let her sleep that way and be glad she likes the passy! =) and ps...glad to see you back on the blog!
Post a Comment